Monday, November 29, 2010

Ultimate Party Meatballs

Hey y'all!  If you know me then you know I like to try to keep things simple and that means in the kitchen, too!  That's why I like this recipe; only three ingredients!  One of those ingredients is cranberry which makes these meatballs perfect for any Thanksgiving or Christmas event but these are so good that I think you could even get away with making them out of season!  I found this recipe in the Christmas issue of Southern Living Magazine and made them for Thanksgiving lunch.  They were a big hit!  With the leftover meatballs, I put them in hot dog buns to make meatball subs for my husband to take to work the next few days.  The recipe calls for specific brands, which is what I used since I didn't know quite how they would turn out, but you could probably use any generic version and they'd be just as tasty!  Here it is:

Ultimate Party Meatballs
  • 1 14-ounce can Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
  • 1 12-ounce bottle Heinz® Chili Sauce
  • 1 2-pound bag frozen, pre-cooked, cocktail-size meatballs 
 Now, you can fix these two ways.  You can combine the cranberry and chili sauce in a deep sauce pan, add the meatballs, and cook over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes (or until meatballs are defrosted and sauce is warm).  But I didn't feel like standing over the pot for that long so I just mixed the sauces together in my crock pot, added the meatballs, and cooked on low for 4 hours.  You'll need to stir the meatballs at least once to make sure the meatballs are evenly coated.  To serve, I covered one of my fancy serving plates with clear plastic wrap and stacked the half of the meatballs on the plate.  I covered it in aluminum foil to keep them warm until I got to my mother's house.  Then, after the meatballs were gone I simply removed the plastic wrap and threw it in the trash and didn't have to scrub sauce off of my serving plate.  This recipe looked, and tasted, like I had spend a lot of time on them but they only took about 10 minutes total preparation time.  I've got the feeling that I will be getting request to make these for next year's Thanksgiving lunch, too!

4 comments: